June 8, 2015

I have just released my first paid pattern, Guna, on Ravelry. I'm very excited about it and it is a design of many "firsts": first knitting design, first shawl, first pattern that I had tested, first pattern that I'm trying to sell. Here I'll try to explain a little about the designing process of that shawl.

I really like the idea of shawls you can just knit and knit until you run out of yarn (1). Especially now that I am spindle spinning my own yarn, I really want to use it all up. I also learned that the shawl shape I like to wear is a crescent (2). And I like an open lacy fabric (3). So I wanted to design a shawl incorporating all these three elements.

I also decided I wanted to spread out the increases over the rows of the shawl, instead of for example only increasing at the edges. This gave me a shawl shape with 6 wedges. Some thinking and sketching in InkScape later I came up with the Guna design:


After converting this into knitting I ended up with this shawl:




A lovely bat wing shaped shawl. I'm currently making another one in hand spun yarn. You can find the Guna pattern here.


Will there be more shawl patterns in the future? I have some things in mind, so watch this space.

3 comments :

  1. I look forward to seeing the same shawl in natural fibre, hand spun. The colours would be well suited to this design. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this suitable as a knooker newbie project please??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely suitable as a beginner lace project. If you are comfortable with the basic knit and purl stitches and know how to make an SSK decrease and a YO increase (or willing to learn) then it should be no problem. It is not a difficult pattern and it keeps repeating. Also all wrong side rows are just purl.

      Another thing that makes it suitable for beginners is that you can use any yarn. So no need to start with lace weight yarn (unless you want to) you can equally well make this shawl with a sport weight or even thicker yarn. One person has made this shawl in Aran/Worsted weight yarn and it came out great. Just use a knook size that is about 1 or 2 sizes larger that what's recommended on the ball band.

      Delete